Monday, March 14, 2011

Homeboy, Eric Church (Song of the Week)

Eric Church's new single "Homeboy" was released Friday, March 4th on iTunes.

Country music, for me at least, is a constant reminder of the summer.  Going to concerts with cowboy hats, flannel shirts, and torn up jorts,  road-trips with  99.5 on the radio,  relaxing by the lake with Tim McGraw playing from iPod speakers- All of these "country" filled memories remind me of the summer.


Not surprisingly, as a college student during the last quarter of their school year, all that is on my mind is the summer.  On that note, I decided to try and find newly released country music in the Country portion of the iTunes library.  In the number thirteen slot of the top Country songs on iTunes, I found a song title "Homeboy" by Eric Church.


Being a huge fan of Eric Church's first two cd's, especially his 2009 album entitled Carolina, I needed to give this strange title for a country single a listen.


Listen below to the "Hell on the Heart" singer's new single:

One of the reasons I am an avid country fan is because I love songs that tell meaningful stories.  This song tells the story of a wannabe gangster or "homeboy" who ran away from home, that gets asked to return "home-boy" by his brother.

Eric Church co-wrote the song with Casey Beathard.

  "I love songs that challenge me as a writer and also challenge the listener," said Church. "This song is a journey, both musically and lyrically, about a man and his search for his wayfaring brother."

The prominent lyrics of the song are found in the last verse:

You can’t hold back the hands of time, 
Mama’s goin’ grey, and so is daddy’s mind
I Wish you’d come on back and make it all right
Before they’re called home, boy
  
For the complete lyrics to the song click here.

This meaningful message to all of those "homeboys" that deserted their roots deserves a 4.5 out of 5.

Eric Church is expected to release a new album on EMI Records Nashville later this year.

The summer is yet so close, but yet so far.  Until the summer arrives, country music will have to get me through the rest of this dragging school year.


No comments: