Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why I Am Embarrassed to Be a Bears Fan

No I am not embarrassed to be a Chicago Bears fan because of Jay Cutler not returning to play in the second half; it is because of you my fellow Bears fans.

"Bears fans" burning Jay Cutler jersey after loss to Packers in NFC Championship
I remember when I was younger wondering: why have I never heard of a "Super Star" Bears quarterback? After today's game I think I know the answer to that question.

I can understand your frustration with losing an NFC Championship Chicago.  It is hard to be happy with a performance when you do not finish first.  We are all human and along with being human comes the vice of greed.

The worst rout the Bears fans could have gone though was blaming there loss on the reason they got there in the first place.  In games this season (including the playoffs) Cutler threw a touchdown the Bears were 10-1; in the games he threw no touchdowns the Bears were 1-4.  It is easy to see the Bears live and die with Cutler as their quarterback.  As Bears fans we just have to accept that this is one of those games we are going to have to go to the grave with him.

Jay Cutler did give his knee a shot starting the second half and the result was a three and out.  We will never know the pain that his knee and elbow were going threw.  We will never know the conversation that happened between Jay and the Bear's medical staff.  Therefore, we have no right to judge Cutler on not playing the majority of the second half.  If Aaron Rodgers was in the same situation as Cutler and left the game for questionable reasons; I guarantee there would be no Packers' fans burning his jersey at the end of the game.

Hats off to Caleb Hanie.  His performance was superb with all of the United States spotlight on him.  That being said: Seeing Facebook statuses that Hanie should be the Bears quarterback next year is the most facetious proposal I have ever heard.  Jay Cutler is the reason Chicago was in this game, and the way Bears fans are so eager to ride off a quarterback that lead them into the NFC Championship makes me want to puke.

I know not all of Bears nation believes its time to divorce from Jay Cutler, but the ones that are burning their jerseys of his went too far.  We will never have a "Super Star" franchise quarterback if we continue to treat the ones that actually do perform well terribly after one poor showing.  I for one am still getting over a tough loss to our rival Green Bay Packers, but I still appreciate the fun ride Jay Cutler gave to us this season.  Thanks Jay.

Love,

Dave

2 comments:

Nick O'Donoghue said...

Good stuff man. I agree theres too many bandwagoners who dont have a clue about cutler's season or how pathetic our o-line is.

Dave Hansen said...

Thanks Nick