Monday, February 7, 2011

Ryan Theriot: Cub Nation Enemy #1

ex-Cub Ryan Theriot was beloved by Cubs fans in his six year tenure in Chicago

Last November, in an interview with St. Louis radio station KFNS, Ryan Theriot broke my and Cubs fans every where's heart.  The ex-Cub told KFNS he was "finally on the right side" of the classic Cubs vs. Cards rivalry. I know this is semi-old news, but it still infuriates me.

Being traded to the Dodgers last July obviously was not Ryan's fault.  Even when he decided to sign with the Cardinals from free agency this off-season, I was not that upset.  The MLB is a business, and does not revolve around only emotion.  "The Riot" himself chose to place that dig on his former team, and betray a city that passionately loved him.

How do Cubs players feel about Theriot's comment?  "There's probably a decent chance he's going to feel how hard the dirt is around the home-plate batters' box," catcher Koyie Hill explained. "At least once, maybe once an at-bat. I don't know how long it's going to take. I want to get an apology out of him, and until the whole team, the whole organization kind of feels satisfied …"  Geovany Soto felt similar emotions, "I'm not going to lie.  I was a little pissed."


What he said was flat out disrespectful to the Cubs and their fans.  My opinion about the disrespect would be no different had the situation been flipped either.  If Albert Pujols signed with the Cubs from free-agency (which would also be the best day of my life) I would still lose respect for him, and feel bad for Cardinal fans.


Carlos Zambrano summed up Cubs nation's opinion the best about Theriot, "There is only one thing to say, he's the enemy now."


Source

No comments: